- Category: Spirituality
- Published: Tuesday, 20 May 2014 10:24
- Written by Amit Kumar
- Hits: 3236
Spiritual Growth and Development is also known by the term Spiritual Quotient or SQ.
"While computers have IQ (Intelligence Quotient) and animals can have EQ (Emotional Quotient), it is essentially SQ (Spiritual Quotient) that sets human beings apart," observe Danah Zoher and Ian Marshal in their book SQ: Connecting with our Spiritual Intelligence.
Another Perspective from Wikipedia
"The authors who have already begun dishing out books by the dozen on the subject of Spiritual Quotient contend that it is only SQ that set humans apart from both machines and animals. According to them SQ is about compassion and creativity, self-awareness and self-esteem, flexibility and gratitude. Thus what were once espoused by the great philosophers of the likes of Swami Vivekananda are once again being exhorted by the modern day corporate world."
“Spiritual means something that is connected with the spirit, rather than the body or physical things.” It is defined as the connection with higher dimensions of the universe to invite cosmic (spiritual) energy into the human body for a better lifestyle, self-definition and society. It empowers the faith system of personality which is the foundation for a successful and abundant life.
Spiritual Development covers a wide range of topics like consciousness, Personality, emotional control, determination, will power, thought control, health, happiness, self-control, action control, inner peace and harmony etc.
Scientific findings are even more revealing. In the highly acclaimed Handbook of Religion and Health, published by Oxford University Press [Harold G. Koenig, MD; Michael E. McCullough, PhD; and the late David B. Larson, MD] carefully reviewed no fewer than two thousand published experiments that tested the relationship between religion and everything from blood pressure, heart disease, cancer and stroke to depression, suicide, psychotic disorders and marital problems. Some of their findings are:
- People who attended a spiritual program at least once a week lived average seven years longer than those who don't attend at all.
- Religious youth showed significantly lower levels of drug and alcohol abuse, premature sexual involvement, criminal delinquency and suicidal tendencies than their nonreligious counterparts.
- Elderly people with deep, personal religious faith have a stronger sense of well- being and life satisfaction than their less religious peers.
Koening’s Conclusion: "A high SQ, faithfulness to God, appears to benefit people of all means, educational levels and ages."
- Mantra chanting
- Deliver overall happiness and psychological well-being.
- Help you learn the good habits, and save you from learning self-destructive habits and behaviors.
- Create a person of high character and competence to meet modern day challenges.
- Help you to create mutual respect, trust and love among each other.
- Provide you the inspiration and drive for learning the self-excellence skills.
- Cures many psychological problems like Inferiority complex, Depression, low self-esteem, self-pity etc.
- Eliminate the tendency of substance abuse [alcohol, drugs, smoking etc.].
- Introduce marital and sexual satisfaction in your life.
- Reduce the suicidal tendencies and make you more powerful and energetic to face the world.
According to Robert Emmons (The Psychology of Ultimate Concerns, 1999), spiritual intelligence helps one to transcend the physical and material, experience heightened states of consciousness, sanctify everyday experience, utilize spiritual resources to solve problems, and be virtuous, showing such traits as humility, gratitude, forgiveness and compassion. This suggests that just as financial capital is the basis of any business, the spiritual capital – SQ – is the basis of our business of life. It fills us with divine confidence in all our endeavors.
[This article is also known by the following terms: Spiritual development, Spiritual Quotient, Faith] Information is dedicated to a great site: http://thespiritualscientist.com.
This most beautiful system [The Universe] could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.
-Sir Isaac Newton
There is a perfect brain behind all the natural physical laws.
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey; we are spiritual beings on a human journey.
Enlightened leadership is spiritual if we understand spirituality not as some kind of religious dogma or ideology but as the domain of awareness where we experience values like truth, goodness, beauty, love and compassion, and also intuition, creativity, insight and focused attention.
Learning is the beginning of wealth. Learning is the beginning of health. Learning is the beginning of spirituality. Searching and learning is where the miracle process all begins.
Before you find your soul mate, you must first discover your soul.
-Charles F. Glassman
See the References Section: Books, Journal Articles, Periodicals, Conferences, Reports, Websites, Electronic Sources, Arts, Sound Recordings, Performances, Films, Interviews, Patents, Case Studies, Miscellaneous